Monday, January 11, 2010

BP4_2010011_Web 2.0 T1- GameClassroom

Photo 1: Personal photo of Kate Finn from her classroom.
Photo 2: Screen shot of GameClassroom




After being assigned to looking for more Web 2.0 tools, I happened to stumble across a site that had to have been put up just for me. I am currently teaching first grade and my class is learning about patterns. Though this should have been a skill learned in Kindergarten, many of my students have not yet mastered the skill of identifying a pattern nor have they mastered identifying where the pattern starts to repeat itself.

Gameclassroom.com is a lesson plan in of itself. It not only has sample problems for me to post up of the board and model for my students, but it also has 'Learning Tips' that go into more depth of how the concept can be taught and how to differentiate learning. This site can definitely be looked at as a teacher’s best friend.

This site has two things that I believe to be essential to any lesson taught. First, it has extra help problems that I can use as student independent practice or as extra help that can be gone over with the teacher on a more one-on-one setting. Second, this site offers enrichment activities. This is so very important. It is one thing for a student to get the concept of what is being taught, it is a totally different thing for the student to be able to go off on his or her own and apply what has been learned. A great way to use these enrichment activities is to have the students complete them at home as a homework assignment.

As I stated before, this site has it all laid out for you. It not only has your lesson play here, but also one-on-one time activities to do with the struggling student, and your enrichment or homework assignment. This site will definitely make learning much more interesting and fun for my students as we have been using pattern blocks instead. I will be setting some of students up to work on this tomorrow who need that little extra boost to the next level.


1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear about how your students respond and what kinds of results you get. I am so glad you found something you can apply right away.

    ReplyDelete